Summer School 2017: Details, Dates & Fees
Our summer school takes place at the Holy Child Community School (located 10 minutes from the beautiful seaside town of Dun Laoghaire) and is for 13-18 year olds. It offers 20 lessons (15 hours) of English per week with an exciting social and cultural programme in a friendly international environment. In 2016 our students came from Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain and Taiwan. We place students in class according to their level and age.
Students stay with a friendly and conveniently located Irish host family who provide full-board accommodation (bed and breakfast, packed lunch and dinner).
Summer school dates
The school runs from Monday July 3rd to Friday August 25th 2017 and caters for students aged 13-18 with beginner to advanced levels of English (A1-C1).
About the school
Holy Child Community School is a modern attractive secondary school with a wide range of facilities. The school has bright classrooms, a fully-equipped gym, canteen, computer rooms with internet access and a well-stocked library.
Students enjoy their packed lunch in the grounds or in the school canteen, where they can also purchase snacks and drinks.
The students can enjoy a variety of sports including basketball, indoor football, volleyball, and table tennis. Outdoor facilities include tennis and basketball courts.
Location of the school
Holy Child is only 10 minutes from the beautiful harbour town of Dun Laoghaire (pronounced "Leary"), an excellent location with plenty to see and do. It is a popular seaside resort famous for its sailing clubs and pier walks. Attractions include the James Joyce Tower and Museum and Forty Foot Bathing Place in nearby Sandycove and the Sunday Farmers' Market in the People's Park. Read more about Dun Laoghaire here.
Our carefully selected host families are all within fifteen minutes of the school and on a direct bus route to Dublin city centre.
About the classes
Classes are suitable for pupils with beginner to advanced levels of English(A1-C1). There is a placement test on arrival and weekly progress tests thereafter.
All students receive a full orientation programme, and a welcome pack with student guidelines, detailed maps and essential information.
- The maximum class size is 15 pupils (the average is 12)
- 15 hours (20 lessons) group tuition per week is provided. This takes place from Monday - Friday inclusive from 09.00–12.20
- Additionally, students enjoy a fully-supervised afternoon programme of sports, music, dance, drama, games, arts &crafts, baking and cultural visits
- All course materials are provided
- There is a weekly one-to-one language clinic, and Student of the Week prizes.
- Students receive a final report and graded certificate
Four evenings a week, students take part in a fully-supervised fun social programme including
- Table Quiz, Bingo, Speed-friending and Games
- Ceili (traditional Irish music and dancing)
- International Night (Talent contest, karaoke, musical theatre)
These activities take place on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8pm-10pm.
On Saturdays, students enjoy full day excursions to places of interest in the beautiful Irish countryside. Students on the two week programme will go on one excursion; students on the three week programme go on two excursions; and students on the four week programme go on three excursions.
The course fees are as follows:
- 2 weeks: €1545
- 3 weeks: €2185
- 4 weeks: €2745
The fees include
- All registration, enrolment and tuition fees
- Welcome pack including maps and essential information
- Entrance fees for programmed visits and excursions
- Full board accommodation with a friendly local Irish family
- Student identity card, report and graded certificate
- Suburban Travel Pass: Bus, DART (suburban rail) & Luas (tram)
- Arrival and departure airport transfers are complimentary
The fees do not include
- Flights. (We recommend that students arrive and depart on Sundays, if possible).
- Medical insurance - EU/EEA/Swiss students should bring their EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).
- Extra nights (€90 per person per night).
- Special diet supplement e.g. coeliac, vegetarian (€50 per week)